Sunday, June 6, 2010

Single image hdr

before

after

I know that you can process a single raw image in photomatix as well as in CS5 with some good success. I've been trying a new technique and getting, what I think, is much better results. It's simple but requires a few more steps in the beginning.

Shoot raw


Open the Raw image in photoshop. I don't think the version matters.


Save this first image as a tiff. That's your mid-range exposed image


Open an Exposure layer in the layers pallet


Change the Exposure to +2 and save this as a TIFF. Make sure that you give it a meaningful name. "+2" will work


Now change the Exposure to -2 and save as a TIFF. Give this image a meaningful name also.


Do the same thing with -1 and +1.


You now have a single image with 5 different exposures all saved as TIFF files.


Open photomatix and process as you normally would.


Let me know how this works for you.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks. I will try this. Love the results by the way. Love the original too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your blog. You have posted some very practical information on how to do HDR photography. I added you to my blogroll.

    ReplyDelete