Tuesday, August 24, 2010

"Starburst" photography exhibit

Click image to see larger

Starburst: Color Photography in America 1970-1980 has opened at the Princeton University Museum of Art. I guess I should tell you that I live in Princeton. Our photography club had a private tour of the exhibit a few days ago.
It is magnificent. In a review of the exhibit appearing in the New York Times I read the following, " Black and white are the colors of photography". So said Robert Frank. Another quote from Ansel Adams declared "If you can't make it good, make it red."
In the 1970's, color photography became the new frontier. The likes of Barbara Kasten, John Divola, Joel Sternfeld are among the 18 photographers offering their wonderful images.
Is HDR our new frontier? I think it is. Of course there are those who would argue this. I also think there is room for all disciplines. I love black and white, I love color and I love HDR. There are well known photographers who are even taking HDR to a much higher level. Vincent Versace calls his concept "images harvesting". He expands not only exposure but color, focus and even time. A much larger idea then just hdr.
Things are moving very fast. It's important to keep up.

No comments:

Post a Comment